7.23.2009

Arturo "Thunder" Gatti (1972-2009)


I was caught in the middle of a railroad track...Thunder!
I looked 'round, and I knew there was no turning back...Thunder!
My mind raced and I thought what could I do? Thunder!
And I knew there was no help, no help from you...Thunder!
Sound of the drums, beatin' in my heart, the thunder of guns!
Tore me apart...
You've been - THUNDERSTRUCK!
-- AC/DC

For those who don't know Gatti was found dead on July 11, 2009, in a hotel in Brazil. Gatti's widow has been charged with first degree murder after the strap of her purse was found stained with blood. She could not explain how she spent more than ten hours in the hotel room without realizing Gatti was dead. Now autopsy reports have opened up other possibilities, but that's all I'll say about his death.

I had the pleasure of photographing the last 10 fights of Arturo Gatti's career, I was a huge fan of his before I had the opportunity to cover his fights, which made it all the more exciting to be there on the ring apron. While we were not friends outside of boxing at all, I often spoke with him during events, and at other local fights in NJ.

My first magazine cover was a Gatti photo, my biggest single photo sale was a Gatti photo, I don't have much memorabilia, I'm very much against collecting autographs and such while covering sporting events (it's a pet peeve, unprofessional and I see too many "journalists" doing it) but I have a shot of Arturo and Micky Ward signed in my house (done at an official signing I was invited to), along with the handwraps from his final bout, that were given to me by a member of Gatti's camp. While not the most skilled fighter ever, he made up for it with more intangibles than any fighter I've witnessed. So without any more of my rambling, here are some photos shot over the years of "Thunder" Gatti.

The fights Gatti will most be remembered for, the Ward Trilogy...










This photo (above) later became the cover of the EA Sports video game release "Fight Night Round 3"

After taking 2 of 3 from Ward, Gatti moved on to a tougher than expected and thrilling defense against Gianluca Branco...






and two KO wins against Leonard Dorin and Jesse James Leija...



The photo above is probably my favorite victory shot I've taken...






followed by a giant step up in class against one of the best in the world Floyd Mayweather Jr. and while it didn't quite go as planned, the Boardwalk Hall faithful in Gatti's home venue never wavered in their support...





In what would be his last victory of his career, Gatti rebounded with a 11th round TKO win over Thomas Damgaard...






Sadly, his career ended with two defeats at Boardwalk Hall to Carlos Baldomir and an upset loss to Alphonso Gomez but the faithful never stopped cheering...










and finally, if you are still with me, a random selection of moments from outside the ring...














Hopefully these photos do his career some justice, he's the most exciting fighter win or lose I've witnessed, and I was lucky to cover as many fights of his as I did...R.I.P.
A final 10-count is tolled at the Main Events show at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ on July 11, 2009.


Hopefully these photos do his career some justice, he's the most exciting fighter win or lose I've witnessed, and I was lucky to cover as many fights of his as I did...R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment